Monday, January 11, 2010

Morning View

Note: This post was supposed to be published on Monday, 1/11/10.

Because I am babysitting tonight, I knew I would have to get in my run early this morning. Honestly, I really don't mind morning workouts. In the past year, I've averaged probably one morning workout a week or every 10 days. Once I'm awake for a few minutes, I'm up. I lay out my clothes the night before, and put a glass of water and two FRS chews by my bed. FRS is another energy supplement, like Accelerade, but it comes in more forms than powder (liquid concentrate, chews, etc). The brand is endorsed by Lance Armstrong, and it's marketed as healthy energy for athletes. FRS contains Quercetin, which may or may not have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it's not sweetened with sugar, and it has other vitamins and minerals too. I like to use the powder form and drink it on the days I do Bikram because I feel much more hydrated when I do.

As I pulled into Milestone this morning at 5:45 AM, I was behind 5 other cars. What? I know people are trying to achieve their New Year's Resolutions, but these must be the really committed ones. I jumped on the treadmill and ran my required 3 miles, then only had 20 minutes or so left for strength training and stretching. Back to running for a second, and all cardio in general for that matter, I am definitely an advocate of warming up and cooling down. Just as you train your body over time for a race, you have to train your body to get ready for that day's workout. I like to walk at a brisk pace for a few minutes, or jog at a light speed, and do the same for my cooldown. Think about it this way: If you're cooking on the stove and you turn off the gas, would you immediately grab the pot? I would hope not. You have to give your body time to adjust, you have to bring your heart rate down.

No comments:

Post a Comment