Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Way It Is

In 2008 while I was training for the mini, I noticed that my right hip was bothering me. Most of the time I'd feel a dull pain, but when I would run it turned to a sharp pain. I went to an orthopaedic surgeon who ordered a bunch of expensive tests that led to inconclusive results. Typical doctor: it takes forever to get an appointment, then the doctors aren't smart enough to come to a conclusion on their own so they order tests which do nothing but cost money. And even more: the technicians who do the tests "aren't allowed" to tell you what they see so you have to wait days for the doctor to call you back. You can tell that I haven't had pleasant experiences with orthopaedic surgeons.

Anyway, I believe I had correctly diagnosed myself with bursitis in my hip. Bursitis is inflammation of bursae (fluid-filled sacs) around tendons, joints, or bones. I got a cortisone shot and that helped, and I was able to run the mini just fine. Unfortunately, this dull pain is back and I am not happy about it at all. The pain hasn't interfered with any of my activities (yet) but I'm going to continue to be cautious with what I'm doing. Doing hip strengthening exercises, using a foam roller on sore spots, and taking Advil are measures that are now more important than ever! If all else fails, there's always a cortisone shot.

For the past several days, my appetite has been that of someone twice my size. Yesterday I ate cereal, yogurt, soup, an apple, two brownies (in less than thirty seconds), a Luna bar, peanuts, and a risotto dish. The risotto did not fill me up at all and while I was eating it I was thinking about what I could eat afterward. With the exception of the brownies, I ate very healthy foods yesterday, but I am frustrated that I cannot stay full. Food is constantly on my mind. It would be interesting to know if metabolism is easily measured, and if so, how I could find how it has changed in the past month. This morning I had some oatmeal and it has managed to keep me full for the past 90 minutes, which is a record!

Tonight I'm going to a hot vinyasa class and I hope it brings some relief to my hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment