Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Violence

So I've been off work so practically a week now, and the living's easy! I have to remind myself what day it is. At the wedding this past weekend, I told several people that I was retired, and they believed me!

Yesterday i woke up early to babysit and the family has a very nice pool (that is heated) so we swam and I made a snack for the little girl which consisted of plain organic yogurt, blueberries, and the organic equivalent of Honey Nut Cheerios. She was a little weirdest out by that combination at first, but she turned out to really like it. I love babysitting for that family because they have very healthy habits. Their fridge and pantry is always stocked with healthy foods: organic dairy, vegetables, fruits, and whole grain items. The parents don't deprive their kids of sweet stuff: the girls like ice cream and candy just like every other kid, but they know when enough is enough. I am absolutely convinced that these girls are so well-behaved because they eat well. The behavior of these two girls is unparalleled; they are well mannered, they listen, and they aren't extremely hyper. Because they aren't eating sugary, processed foods all the time, getting a sugar high, crashing, then wanting more, they maintain very calm demeanors.

This morning I had oatmeal with banana, coconut, and a spoonful of Sunbutter. Afterward I got to work hydrating for a Bikram class at 11:30. The class was great, as usual, and then I refueled with half of a Clif Bar, a veggie burger on an Arnold sandwich thin, and the rest of my roasted veggies (asparagus, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts).

A couple of weeks ago, the instructor at my Bikram class was talking about violence. Have you ever considered that some of the things you do may be viewed as violence towards yourself? I'm talking about excessive drinking, smoking, other drugs, eating unhealthy foods, etc. Those instances are examples of physical abuse towards yourself. Would you force someone to smoke cigarettes? Would you force someone to do drugs? I would certainly hope not. If you wouldn't force someone to abuse their body, why would you abuse your own?


Just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment