Friday, February 25, 2011

Reasonable Expectations

Tomorrow, Saturday, is the beginning of Louisville's Triple Crown of Running: a series of three races that precede the Derby Festival Mini and Full Marathon (April 30). The Anthem 5k is the first of the races, and Saturday will be my fourth time participating in this race.

My previous times:
2008: 29:26
2009: 29:12
2010: 25:37

As you can see, my 2010 time blew the others out of the water. I think I was on a race high for a week afterward! Last year I was really smart about training and the speed work and lifting I added to my regimen helped me to get that PR.

This year is going to be a different story. Because I've only been running again for the past few weeks and not for the past 2 months, I'm obviously not in great running shape. I'm going to run the race with a friend who has never done a race before, so we will most likely move along at an easy gait. I'm expecting to finish the race in a range of 30-35 minutes.

Running is tough - and not just on your body. It can really tear you up mentally too. If you're a competitive runner, miles and times are a big deal. You ran a specific race slower this year than last year? It can be a huge let down! 2010 was a year of Personal Bests for me for the 5k, 10k, and 10 miler distances. Knowing that this year probably will not be the same makes me feel defeated. It's a horrible attitude to have, but it's the truth. I tend to beat myself up mentally - sometimes I fail to set reasonable expectations for myself.

My obsession with time is one reason I need yoga. I need an activity where time doesn't really matter. Everyone in the class does yoga together for 60 or 75 or 90 minutes, and we all start at the same time and finish at the same time. More in Vinyasa yoga than in Bikram, we aren't ruled by minutes or by seconds, we're just going with the flow - literally!

Tomorrow isn't going to be about me. It's going to be about supporting a friend who is running the first (and hopefully not last!) race of her life. May the Triple Crown begin!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome you are running with a friend. I hope they do well and enjoy their first race. Great attitude - reasonable expectations. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a good race. It stinks that I did not see you guys down there! We need to meet up soon :)

    ReplyDelete