Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes

So you know how everyone goes nuts for pumpkin in October and November? Gotta get one of those Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks. Gotta make some pumpkin muffins. Gotta add pumpkin to every single thing I eat. I ended up with some leftover cans of Libby's Pumpkin and I wanted to do something with them. Because you know what? Pumpkin tastes good all year long, not just in the fall!

Enter pumpkin pancakes!


Although I am not a fan of Sandra Lee, I took a recipe of hers and made it the basis for my pancakes.

Her recipe calls for:
1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
Butter, room temperature

This is actually my second time tinkering with the recipe so I knew what I wanted. I used 1 cup pancake mix (whole wheat), 3/4 cup cold water and 2/3 cup almond milk (1 cup water didn't seem like enough), 1/2 cup pumpkin, and then more like 1 full teaspoon of cinnamon and ginger each.

I cooked the pancakes on a griddle, but they turned out to be pretty messy. I'm thinking it might have to do somewhat with the fact that there wasn't any vegetable oil or egg in the batter? The pancake recipe on the pancake mix bag calls for oil AND egg. Despite it all, they were still delicious. Here are a few of the "prettiest" ones:


Yeah I know, they aren't pretty at all.

If you always seem to scramble for breakfast in the mornings, try making a big batch of pancakes on Sunday and you can have them for breakfast for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment