Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

A few hours ago I got back from Nashville where I attended a friend's wedding and got to see some of my best friends from college! One thing I love about seeing best friends who live in different cities is that we tend to pick up right where we left off. When I got to Nashville on Saturday morning it was HOT HOT HOT! We went to a really awesome restaurant/coffee house in Nashville called FIDO. I got their veggie burger (homemade) made from beans and grains and a cup of crawfish chowder.
One of my friends bought a sweet potato and white chocolate chip muffin which we all gnawed on before we got our meal. They have tons of baked goods, including vegan items, and they even had a lavender cake! I was tempted to get a piece, but since I would be eating wedding cake that night, I decided to hold back. Speaking of cake...
Look at Elizabeth's beautiful wedding cake! At this moment I am realizing that I ate three pieces of cake that night. Yikes. It probably ended up being a good thing based on the amount of alcohol I drank. Anyway... I also had my first Five Guys experience and my first Pinkberry experience too! Pinkberry has a new flavor, peanut butter, which is delicious and I ended up eating it without any toppings. So as you can see, I barely ate this weekend and I don't like sweets at all.

Our hotel had a pretty decent gym and I got in a nice workout on Sunday. I did about a 30 minute weight routine: squats, chest press, hamstrings, triceps, and abdominal exercises on the exercise ball, and then I got on the treadmill to do an interval workout. Just like most people, I get bored on the treadmill. Here's a workout that I used to pretty often that keeps you on your toes: 

Interval workout:
Warm up for 5 minutes doing whatever kind of cardio you want
Jump on the treadmill and run at 6.0 for 2 minutes (or whatever speed is your "go to")
Take the incline up to 1.0, take your speed down to 5.0, and run for 1 minute
Back to 6.0 for 2 minutes
Incline of 2.0, speed 5.0, 1 minute
6.0 for 2 minutes
Incline of 3.0, speed 5.0, 1 minute

Continue this pattern until you get to 6.0 on the incline, and then you can either go back the way you came or just cool down and call it quits. Here is a tip: when you are increasing your incline, adjust your speed first. When you are increasing your speed, adjust your incline first. Running 6.0 at a 6.0 incline is not fun.

I'm back in Louisville and need to get organized for the week. If it's supposed to stay cool then I will probably go to the yoga studio to warm up! I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment