Monday, October 17, 2011

My Yoga Journey Continued!

I created a small challenge for myself to complete 10 yoga classes by the end of the month.  It's by no means a lofty goal, but I wanted to do something that I would enjoy.  I'm four classes down and I have six to go.  Six classes in two weeks?  That can be done!

The hardest Vinyasa class of my life took place on Saturday.  Betsy, the owner of Hot Yoga Louisville, just got back from teacher training so you know what that means: she's full of ideas and ready to get going.  She even told us before class that the name of the class was "Kick Butt" so at least she prepared us.

Because Vinyasa is a flow class, you're constantly moving, and you're supposed to be moving with the breath.  When the room is warm or hot, you can lose your breath, and if you're still moving you're getting out of sync with it.  The breath aspect is probably one of the most challenging aspects of the class.  We did tons  of Chaturangas (yoga pushups), lunges, arm balances, etc.  You name it, we did it.  We did a pose (x3) that I had never heard of before: Fallen Triangle.  Here is the full expression of the pose:

(from chagrinyoga.com)

Believe it or not, but before you are in the position above you're in a plank position with one of your legs extended underneath you and out to the side.  And then you reach back and dip your hips towards the ground without letting them touch all the way.  Confused yet?  Yeah, I am too.  It was hard.

Despite feeling completely spent, I was so glad I did that class!  My endurance for Vinyasa has definitely improved.  This week I plan to do two Vinyasa classes and possibly one Bikram class. 

I play on an adult field hockey team, and I was able to play in our game yesterday afternoon.  The teams are random: you've got girls there who are still in college, people like me who are just wanting to have fun and run around, and then moms who are brave enough to come out and hang with us 20somethings.  We ended up winning our game 3-1 and I had two assists!  Just call me Hot Shot?  I had major butterflies in my stomach before the game because I didn't know what to expect, but then I ended up having a lot of fun and played hard too.

Finally - I tried a new product recently and I wanted to give some feedback:

Recently I was in Chicago's O'Hare airport and I picked up this water: Hint with lime.  I like citrus in my water so it sounded good at the time, but this drink was pretty disappointing.  The best comparison I can make is that it tasted like watered down Sprite that was a day old.  Seriously.  I drank the whole thing because I didn't want to waste it, but I really did waste money buying it.  They have a few other flavors, but I doubt I will try it again.  So save your money! You're welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment