Sunday, March 4, 2012

Anthem 5k, et cetera

We are safe and sound here in Louisville after the tornadoes and severe storms on Friday.  We lucked out BIG time.  I hope everyone reading this was not affected!

On Friday night, I went to Uncle Maddio's with some friends.  Uncle Maddio's is a build-your-own pizza joint and it was delicious.  I opted to get one of their custom pizzas, the Portobello Pesto, which was delicious.  I wasn't sure if the 9" would be enough to fill me up, but it was!  FYI: Uncle Maddio's in Louisville is at the corner of Bardstown and Grinstead.

After dinner, we went to a concert hall for a Dr. Dog concert.  I'm not really sure how to describe their music...it's like jammy rock.  Listen to this song below and you can be the judge!



We left the show early because we had to be up for the Anthem 5k!

As I mentioned two posts ago, yesterday was my fifth time running this race so I feel like an old pro! :)
Last year, we were pretty far away from the starting line and hence I had to weave around people the entire race.  I was determined to get in a good spot this year and we did an excellent job, crossing the starting line just a couple of minutes after the official start.

My official time was 26:42, which is a great improvement from last year's time!  I think that 26:42 is actually my second best 5k time that I know of!  There were 707 girls in my age group and I placed 105th.  Here are the stats from my Garmin (full miles only):

Mile 1: 8:23
Mile 2: 8:38
Mile 3: 8:29

Now, if you know how I run, and I'm sure you don't, my first mile is usually one of my slowest.  I try not to take off like a bat outta hell because I don't want to die by the end of the race.  As you can see, I was really pushing it!  Once I finished two miles in a little over 17 minutes, I thought to myself, "Dang, I might be able to get a PR (25:37)."  However, the hard running I did caught up with me, and it was really tough work to finish that last mile.

So what did I do post-race?  I drank a small Powerade, ate two bananas, dropped my friend off, and then went to the gym for a Kettle Bells class!  Am I crazy or what?  If I hadn't just run a 5k, class would have been a piece of cake for me, but I was definitely tired and starving.  However, I got through class just fine and refueled with a big protein shake and a blueberry muffin.

Last night I slept for ten hours, which was glorious, and then I went to a yoga class with my mom at the gym.  The class was gentle, and I did some great stretching, although I've noticed that due to my lack of yoga class attendance my flexibility has waned.  Post-class we went to Whole Foods for an early lunch and I stocked up on produce mainly for juicing:


I got some carrots, apples (in a bag), ginger root, beets (in a bag), lemons, mangos, and celery.  I already had the clementines from another grocery trip.  Definitely looking forward to juicing the mangos...I don't eat a lot of mangos so I'm hoping that they'll be delicious.

I've found that by juicing carrots and celery I get the biggest bang for my buck.  Both items produce a lot of juice, and they are cheap in comparison to other types of produce.

What a weekend!  It's been grand.  Have a great Sunday!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment