Friday, May 4, 2012

Feeling Inspired

In August of 2010 I did my first sprint triathlon

In 2011 I wanted to do the tri again, but it was a rough year and my bike never saw the light of day.

This year, I'm taking charge and signing up for the race again!

Today is May 4th, and the tri is August 4th, which means I have three solid months to train for a 1/2 mile swim, 14 mile bike, and a 3.1 mile run. 

I. Can. Do. This.

Swimming and running are the easy parts.  It's biking that gives me major butterflies.  If on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being super easy and 10 being super hard, I'd rate swimming and running as a 2 or 3 and biking as a 7 or 8.  It's not moving the pedals that's the hard part, it's being on the bike in general.  I have control over my body when moving through the water or hitting the pavement, but when I have a machine to think about too?  Which gear is which? What's that thing called? Changing a tire? I know as much about my bike as I know how to speak Japanese.  This weekend, while most people in Louisville will be at Churchill Downs, I'm going to go to the bike shop for a tune up and also inquire about a beginner's class or a tutorial on learning how my bike works.  Although I've been on my bike multiple times, I am definitely still a beginner.

The triathlon aside, I am determined to do a fair amount of racing this spring/summer/fall and get in great shape.  What's my motivation? Where did it come from?  There really isn't just one source:  my dedication to the Kettle Bells classes and seeing my improved physique and strength is inspiring.  Seeing people report running full marathons and half marathons on Facebook is inspiring.  The Olympics happen this summer and those are inspiring.  The list goes on.  It doesn't really matter where your motivation comes from as long as you feel it and even better if you act on it!

I'm signed up for The Color Run at the end of July.  I'm doing the Bourbon Chase again in September.  I'm ready to throw in more races and just have a great summer working hard and being outside!  Yesterday I got in the pool for the first time since February(?) and swam 50 lengths.  It felt so great to be in the pool again and I'm looking forward to swimming more in these next three months. 

Happy Derby weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment