Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Runner's Itch

The post-Bourbon Chase depression continues. 

The BC was essentially the tail end of my racing year.  I only have six races under my belt for 2012, which really isn't many:

March: 5k and a 10k
July: 5k
August: two sprint triathlons
September: Bourbon Chase

Being in the environment that I was last weekend, you hear a lot about people's past and upcoming races.  Four of the five other teammates in my van have done or are getting ready to do a marathon in the past year.  I've done two half marathons, but never a full, and my last half was over two years ago.  For those reasons, I am feeling like I need to step up my game...keep up with the joneses if you will.  I shouldn't give myself too much grief though - I did two sprint triathlons within two weeks of each other and that was hard.  The time that it takes me to complete that race is the same amount of time that it takes some people to run a 1/2 marathon, so I've got to give myself some credit.  Regardless, being around great runners this past weekend has created an itch that I want to scratch.

On November 3rd, there is a 1/2 marathon in Louisville and this might be my opportunity to get in one last great race before the year ends.  I've been thinking about this race a lot in the past 72 hours and here are some pros and cons (we'll start with the cons):

Cons:
1. At this point I am only up to running 6-7 miles at a time.  Ideally, if I were to run a half marathon in a month, I should be running 8-10 miles at a time. 
2. I have a Groupon for my yoga studio that expires at the end of the month.  If I keep running as a priority that means less time in the yoga studio and less bang for my buck.
3. I don't exactly have a running buddy so that would mean lots of running alone.

Pros:
1. I haven't run a 1/2 marathon in a long time so it would be interesting to see how I do.
2. The course looks mostly flat (with a detour through Cherokee Park which I know like the back of my hand).
3. The registration fee has already capped so I can sleep on this for another week or so.

In other news, I got a massage yesterday which I scheduled in advance figuring I would be sore from the Bourbon Chase.  Surprisingly, I wasn't very sore at all, but it was still nice to treat myself.  My masseuse was talking about a client of hers and his muscle patterns and I said, "Well what can you tell about me from my muscle patterns?" and she said, "That you're a workoutaholic.  You're massive - and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word.  You're what we call a 'sinker.'  If we put you in a pool, you'd sink to the bottom."  I couldn't help but laugh for being called massive, but I also felt an inkling of pride.  I've got muscle - and I should be proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment