Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Exercise vs. Food

The latest study all over the news regarding women's health shows that women should exercise 1 hour a day, 7 days a week to maintain their current weight over their lifetime. The study was based on surveys of 34,000 American women over a 13 year period. This story is going to get a lot of coverage, and people are going to go nuts just because of one study. How many scientific studies are done per year?

I really don't buy it. First of all, our bodies are all different. We all have different genes, different metabolisms, and different amounts of chemicals and enzymes and other juices flowing through us. Those factors affect our weight.

Secondly, I don't know the exact stats, and who does really, but I've read and heard from many a source that your weight is mostly affected by what you put in it! If you take medications, they could affect your weight. The main culprit is food.

I am convinced that:

1. If you eat well, you will stay trim.
2. If you eat well, you will feel better, you will have more energy, and you will have better workouts, which also help you stay trim.

My improved eating habits over the past few months have made for better workouts and made me stay healthy (without disease). When I say improved, I mean cutting out a lot of processed foods, adding more fruits and vegetables, and also diversifying my fruit and vegetable choices. I've felt ill a few times this year, but I've gotten over it quickly and without medication. In 2010 I've taken one sick day, which wasn't even a full day, and it was because I was a bit sleep-deprived. I'm convinced that the more natural and nutritious your food is, the better you are going to look and feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment