Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bikram For Recovery

For the past two nights I have gone to Bikram to help stretch out my body and bring some relief to my muscles! I'm really glad I went despite a few of the poses making me utter "shit" under my breath. Part of the warmup involves some huge squats where your ultimate goal is to get your thighs parallel to the ground.

Squat #1: With your feet and knees hip-distance apart (approx. 6 inches) you squat like you're sitting in a chair.

Squat #2: You raise onto your tip toes and then start to squat, focusing on "lifting" your knees as much as possible

Squat #3: While standing, you bring your knees together and lower to the ground, keeping your back straight and you just hover.

And then you do it all over again! And yes, that is just 1 warmup exercise out of 4.

The other pose that got me was triangle, which involves a deep lunge. Betsy, the owner and instructor for that class, pushes me because she knows I can do it, and kept telling me to lunge lower and lower.

Since the mini, my quads have hurt more than anything, so you can only imagine that firing up my quads even more was not what I wanted to do. However, today they feel great!

I'm taking a vacation day today to pick up a friend from the airport who is coming to town for Derby and we're going to relax in the sun by the pool at her parents' house. Wow, how many prepositions can I use in one sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment