Monday, August 23, 2010

Running Errands + Official Race Results

It is extremely hard to sit down with my laptop after a full day at work in front of a computer, but here goes.

I would like to start sharing what I purchase at the grocery...starting today!

On the way home I stopped at Whole Foods which is definitely one of my favorite stores. I get excited every time I go in, expecting there will be a new product that I'll discover.

This is my philosophy on grocery shopping/spending money on food:

I care A LOT about what goes in my body. I want to eat whole foods, natural foods, and pure foods. I can justify high grocery bills because the food I eat is going to change how I look and how I feel. I wish more people grasped that concept: that what you are eating day in and day out is affecting your mood, your body, and your overall health.

Now onto my purchases:

-A bunch of different canned beans: black, kidney, and white, for a vegetarian chili that I plan on making soon
-Can of diced tomatoes
-5 lb bag of whole carrots. It's a little excessive for one person, and I wanted a smaller bag, but none was available.
-Stonyfield organic yogurt (french vanilla flavor)
-Boca brand spicy chicken patties (not really chicken)
-Boca veggie burgers
-1 individual serving of Oikos strawberry (Greek yogurt)
-Bananas
-Cherries
-1 sweet onion
-2 Braeburn applies
-Two crowns of broccoli
-1 big bag of spinach (for my Green Monsters of course!)

And here's a picture of my final three purchases:



-Whole Foods brand hummus. THE BEST EVER!!!!!
-Pacific boxed soup. I had their soup a lot in college and liked it so I thought I'd give it a go again
-Chia seeds (read below)

This will be my first experience with Chia seeds. I see a lot of the other bloggers put it in things like oatmeal and smoothies. They are a great source of Omega acids and other antioxidants. Most undoubtedly I could have ordered them online cheaper, but the thought didn't cross my mind until now.

Currently I am roasting some brussel sprouts, mushrooms, and garlic in the oven. It smells delicious in the apartment.

Good night!


P.S. I got my official race results for the Fleet Feet Fiesta 3 mile run!

I placed 75th out of 346 participants. They said my finish time was 26:09. Well OK then!

5 comments:

  1. #1 comment: I agree with the thought about spending money on food. It's like making an investment in yourself, which is a way better idea than making an investment in a designer purse (in my opinion). I'm not going to kid myself and try to say I don't like Papa John's, though... :)

    #2 comment: CHUH-CHUH-CHUH-CHIA! Are you going to start growing grass out of your ears?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Whole Foods too! Literally every time I go in there I find something new. I try to stay on a budget but I do splurge on some things that I know are worth it. Another blogger once said that the money you spend on healthy food is like an insurance policy for your body. So true!

    I have yet to try chia seeds myself. I'm going to use up the wheat germ and flax seed first and then maybe ;-)

    Congrats on your awesome finish time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see how big that container was? I'll give you some Chia seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rachel... not gonna lie, we are OBVIOUSLY long lost friends, loved our meet up today! it was lovely to meet you.

    just catching up on your blog and had to comment here: i bought the SAME CONTAINER OF CHIA SEEDS just this week!!!! i will share with you what i've been doing with them--- yum yum, i'm liking them a lot so far!

    here's to many exciting adventures!
    xox
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete