Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Today I went to a spinning class after work. I hadn't been on a bike since my tumble two Sundays ago, and I hadn't been to a spinning class in over 2 weeks. Surprisingly enough, my performance in that spinning class was probably my best ever. The instructor is more of an aerobic instructor as opposed to an actual cyclist, so we do things like "singles" which means bringing your bottom off the seat for a beat or two, and then down, and then up, and the cycle continues.

Another reason I think I did well in the class was the music. The right song or the right kind of music can really get your adrenaline flowing! The instructor always plays pop and rap, which is what I prefer to listen to while working out because I like the beats.

After class I wanted to jump in the pool and see how swimming would go with my gimp elbow, but I left my workout bag in the car and so I skipped the swim.

Dinner was a Green Monster, and then I set to work on baking some cookies.

The recipe comes from Sarah @ Peas and Thank You and she calls them Chocolate PB Protein Cookies.

Makes 16 cookies

1 c. old fashioned oats
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
1/4 c. natural peanut butter
1 t. baking powder
4 scoops (each scoop approx. 21 g.) of protein powder of your choice
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 packets of Nu Naturals stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
1/2 c. almond milk (you may need less depending on the size of your bananas)
Preheat oven to 350. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until combined.
Scoop batter by heaping tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet, and bake for 9-12 minutes, until cookies are firm.

My modifications:

-I used SunButter instead of natural peanut butter, DUH
-Instead of unsweetened cocoa powder and the 4 packets of sweetener, I used Nesquik powder instead
-I got some use out of my coconut and added 1/2 cup


The mix:




Time for a new baking sheet?



The end


Yeah...so they didn't quite taste how I thought they would. I was expecting them to taste more like No Bake Cookies, but they didn't. They could definitely be sweeter, but you could taste the banana and coconut. I wouldn't choose these for a dessert, but rather for a pre or post workout snack. They might be good mixed in with ice cream.

I'm not calling it a baking fail, but it's not a baking win either. It's just a trial. Next time will be better!

3 comments:

  1. Do you work out at Milestone?? Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do! Milestone is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spinning! I totally agree that the music makes a big difference. I'm likely to work harder if it's songs I like too ;-)

    Sorry the cookies didn't turn out. I love Sarah aka Mama Pea!

    ReplyDelete