Friday, September 10, 2010

The Doctor

Since I've been suffering with this elbow trauma for almost four weeks now, I bit the bullet and decided to go to an orthopaedist. If I had decided to go to medical school, I would definitely be an orthopaedic doctor. Then I could self-diagnose and explain all of the injuries I get!

After some x-rays and an examination, Kate (the orthopaedist) told me that nothing is broken, but all of the pain is centered around the radial head of the elbow.



Although it isn't broken, you have to treat it like it is. This means: ice, Advil, and physical therapy. I've already been doing the first two, and I've made a PT appt for next Tuesday. Kate said my range of motion is poor, so I've gotta get it back or I'll be suffering for a while.

So...the lap swimming I did on Monday was a mistake. My arm WAS getting better, but the swimming must have aggravated it again. I'm too darn stubborn to back off when I know I should.

Last night I went to Bikram and had to sit out for a few poses because the way I would have to bend my arm was too painful. Fortunately, the instructor was very understanding and she encouraged me to listen to my body and do what I need to do so I don't hurt myself more. It is tough to be hindered in an activity that I usually do so well in.

For as much as I preach about listening to your body, I don't always practice it. Granted, we can't be perfect all the time, and I know that, but I suppose that being temporarily disabled makes me feel pretty down. My body says, "Rest!" while my mind says, "Go! Go! Go!"

I think I could use a rest day today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment