Friday, December 3, 2010

Having Control

A wise friend told me the other day that there are some things that happen which you cannot control. As a self-proclaimed control freak, obviously I have a problem with that. This friend told me to focus on that which I can control: what I do, who I spend my time with, who I talk to, etc. His point really hit home with me. My mother said to me recently, "The person you see first thing every morning, when you look in the bathroom mirror, is the one and only person who controls your destiny."

When something happens to make you fall flat on your face, you've got to stand up. You don't have to do it immediately, you don't have to do it the next day, but you've got to do it eventually. Obstacles happen. Life happens. Take control!

On a lighter note, I am slowly taking control of my core. Although I hate to admit this...I do not like my abs. They are definitely not my greatest asset. I don't need to have a six pack, in fact, I think six packs on girls are weird looking, but I do want to have a stronger core. In the past month, I've gone to a balls/core class at my gym three times. One of the times was last night, and wow. I was on the verge of tears for most of the class. I made grunting noises that would have made me a good candidate for an exorcism. All of the work involves exercise balls, and we do everything from crunches to pikes to planks to straight up torture. At the end, the instructor wanted us to sit on the ball and balance with our feet off the ground, then balance on our knees, then balance on our feet? One only guy could balance on his feet, and I could barely balance sitting. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Tomorrow is the 5k for Girls on the Run. I'm serving as a running buddy to a girl that I babysit. It should be a pretty slow race, but I can't wait to see how she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment