Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Healthy Dose of Yoga

In the past eight days, I've been to five or six yoga classes. All of these classes but one were at Yoga On Baxter. They are doing a GREAT deal right now that is 30 days of unlimited yoga classes for $30. They offer everything from Vinyasa to Beginning Hot Yoga to Ashtanga, etc. Every class but one that I've done at Yoga on Baxter so far is the Beginning Hot Yoga, which is very similar to Bikram in that we do most of the same poses and the room is cooler. Last Tuesday morning I went to a Vinyasa class (think Downward Dog) and it was a GREAT way to begin the day. Based on experience, I know that it's hard to wake up and go run on a treadmill or do something high impact. Vinyasa was a bit challenging but gentle way to wake up. The Chatarangas (yoga push up) made me extremely sore the next day!

The sole class I didn't do at Yoga on Baxter was at my normal studio, Betsy's Hot Yoga. I absolutely love that studio and always leave with a refreshed and clear mind, but there's always a crowd! I'm very particular about having personal space, and when you have to accommodate for a large number of people, it stresses me out. The stress usually subsides once class gets going, but still, feeling stressed during yoga seems like an oxy moron.

So, as I mentioned in my last entry, I did a 5k on Saturday for an organization called Girls on the Run. It teaches adolescent girls about goal building and healthy habits and they have "practices" for a few months which lead up to a 5k. The mother of a girl I babysit asked me to be her running buddy for the race, so I said yes! Girls on the Run was already on my radar at the time so I was excited to get involved. On Saturday morning, the city of Louisville woke up to snow and ice, which are not ideal race conditions! Luckily, most of our race was on a clear road so we didn't have to battle much more than the cold. This girl did not seem very motivated and hence ended up walking a lot, which was frustrating for me despite lots of encouragement, but we finished the race in 44 minutes. I wouldn't mind getting more involved with GOTR run in the form of being a coach! Then I can encourage the girls from the beginning and perhaps train them a bit better so a 5k doesn't seem like a huge deal! When I got home from the race, I felt like I needed more of a workout, so I put on my soaking wet tennis shoes again and headed out for 20-25 minutes.

If you have the right gear, you don't have to be stopped by the cold when it comes to running outside. Running tights, a long sleeved shirt, jacket or sweatshirt, hat, and gloves are a great start. I really want to stress wearing a hat because so much heat can escape from your head!

Tonight might be my last yoga class until Friday since I have plans tomorrow and Thursday. I feel slightly sore (in a good way) and super limber too. I love yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment