Monday, December 13, 2010

The Number Six

Tomorrow marks the six month anniversary of the start of my current job.

Six also marks the number of pounds that I've gained since my triathlon back in August. Back to this in a second.

Wow, six months. Half a year. How much life has changed in that time period! Work was new and fresh yet frustrating back in June, and it's still new and fresh and sometimes frustrating. Last week I was in pre-licensing school and it really inspired me to learn as much as I can and be as thorough of an employee (and future agent) as I can. I've missed school. I've missed the interaction of a classroom, the instructors, the new material, the knowledge gained. Luckily for me, my profession requires 24 hours of continuing education classes per year, and I want to enjoy every minute. Another reason that six months is so important is that I can now take sick and vacation days. I've been without them so long that they are like a foreign object to me.

Back to the pounds. I hate admitting that I've gained weight. Who doesn't? My clothes fit basically the same, so who knows if it really is six pounds. According to the scale at the doctor's office this morning it was. Scales are awful. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Tonight at SIX pm I went to a yoga class at Yoga on Baxter. The class was supposed to be Beginning Hot Yoga (similar to Bikram) but instead we did a Vinyasa class, and it was great. It was more or less of a beginner's class, including chatarangas, triangle pose, eagle, tree, warrior 1 and 2, side angle pose, etc. I felt strong and I'm already feeling the soreness in my upper body starting to creep in. If you go to a class, whether it's yoga, aerobics, spinning, or whatever, and you feel comfortable with what you are doing, I really encourage you to go to the front of the class. It is so much easier to focus when you are the first thing you can see in the mirror, not to mention that the instructors are more visible too. When it comes to the balls/core class at Milestone, I will shrink into the corner because I am choking back tears, but for yoga classes, I always do well when I hang out in the front.

Speaking of classes, I'm on an email list for a store called VO2 Multisport. If you are a triathlete, they are a great place to go for gear, but they also offer classes! AND...some of them are FREE! They have free spinning classes on Wednesdays and Sundays, and they have a free yoga class on Monday nights. I've never been to a class there, but if you want to try yoga or spinning and don't belong to a gym, it might be worth it! Check out their website first for details.

Right now I'm having my lazy person's dinner - a Green Monster.

1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
2 cups spinach
2/3 cup milk
1 banana
ice

I haven't done too much cooking lately, but wintertime seems like it would be a good time to experiment and come up with new recipes or try ones from the blogs I read.

Hope everyone is staying warm - whether you throw on blankets, cuddle up with a loved one, or do a yoga class. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment