Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All Will Be Well

Some good things have happened in the past 72 hours:

1. I'm starting to feel normal again - in terms of the mono recovery. My back and neck remain extremely knotty and sore, and I'm trying to relieve them via baths, the hot tub at my gym, my foam roller, and Tylenol (can't take NSAIDs because of my stomach).

2. I've been to the gym 3 times since Saturday. Today I walked for 10 minutes, ran 1.5 miles, stretched, swam 30 lengths, and then hottubbed it for 10 minutes. Although I wanted to run and swim a lot more, I knew it would be a bad idea for me to dive in and pick up my old routine that quickly.

3. Due to my increase in tea consumption, yesterday I bought an electric kettle and I haven't looked back since. Steph came over for dinner last night, and we put that baby to work! An electric kettle is more energy efficient than using a stove or microwave, and it heats up your water very quickly!

4. I got new running shoes. My previous pair were from the beginning of May, and they say you should get new running shoes every 300-500 miles, and I know I've definitely hit that range. My old shoes were Asics, but I decided to switch back to an old favorite, Mizuno. I ran with Mizuno shoes through high school and college and loved every pair I had. Amazon has great deals on running shoes, by the way. What I paid for my shoes was easily 25% less than what I would have paid at a local running store. I am all for supporting local businesses, but when it comes to a international brand like Mizuno, I look to save money.

In other news, my Upper GI Endoscopy is coming up in a few days. Based on stomach issues that have bothered me since middle school and have only gotten worse over the past month, on Friday I'm getting a tube stuck down my throat with a camera on it so doctors can see my stomach, esophagus, and duodenum (part of the small intestine). My understanding is that I won't be completely asleep, but I'll be really out of it. Here's going to be the fun part: My scope isn't until 3:30 pm on Friday and I cannot eat anything after midnight on Thursday. I usually eat dinner around 7 pm, and maybe I'll have a snack before bed. Even if I eat something around 9 pm, it will still be around 20 hours before I eat something again. I'm allowed to have water, popcicles, Gatorade, and the like until 11:30 am on Friday, and then nothing, not even water. I'm nervous, obviously.

As the Gabe Dixon band says, "All Will Be Well."

1 comment:

  1. Ah man, I hate late appointments when you can't eat or drink anything! Good luck :)

    I have had an endoscopy before and the sedation is actually quite pleasant. Sort like taking a nap only you can kind of hear things but not really make out what's going on. You wake up pretty easily when it's over too. It is way better than being put under for surgery, eek. I hope I never have to do that again.