Monday, January 24, 2011

Tofu Is Not The Enemy

Happy Monday!

The steam room and continuous self-motivation seem to be paying off as I am feeling better. It is SO hard to stop myself from taking off and running a few miles, but it will come soon. It will be the ultimate reward!

Here are the Herbes de Provence that I mentioned a few posts back that my mom put in her fabulous chicken noodle soup.


Contents: Savory, thyme, rosemary, basil, tarragon, and lavender flowers.

You can add it soups, stews, cassoulets, casseroles, etc. It has a wonderful aroma and wonderful taste!

Last night I decided to try making tofu again. Back in the Spring of 2010 I had a major tofu fail and hadn't touched the stuff until this month. This time I'm fairly certain I succeeded. I decided not to take pictures of the tofu because it's not very pretty.

Step 1: Cut the tofu into cubes or small rectangles that are around 1/3-1/2 inch thick
Step 2: Wrap the pieces in paper towels, place on a plate, put a cutting board on top, and then put something heavy on top of that like a skillet. Leave for 20-30 minutes
Step 3: Unwrap the tofu and marinate it with desired dressing/sauce/vinaigrette for 30 minutes to an hour. The longer it sits, the better.
Step 4: To bake: place in a baking dish that is lightly coated with oil and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes each side. The tofu should be golden brown

I marinated mine with barbeque sauce, and after it was done baking, I ate it with quinoa and roasted asparagus (which deserves a picture):


All pictures are via Hipstamatic and tend to come out at "hip" angles.

I'm hoping I'll be able to do some running this week! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment