Monday, February 21, 2011

Sweet Potato Chili (and dinner with friends!)

Hi Everyone - this is my 200th post. Hurray!

Yesterday I "tackled" a recipe I had been wanting to make for several weeks now: Real Simple's Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili With Sweet Potatoes. When I say I tackled the recipe, I mean that I threw the ingredients in the crock pot and let it do its magic.

Here are the ingredients:

1 medium red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
kosher salt and black pepper
1 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
1 medium sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
sour cream, sliced scallions, sliced radishes, and tortilla chips, for serving

*Note the yummy spices in it!

Here's Real Simple's picture:


Which is obviously 10x better than my iPhone picture:


Despite the lack of appeal from my picture, the chili was quite good. We didn't add sour cream or scallions on top, but Steph + Paul both added hot sauce and said it was a nice touch.

Steph made GOURMET wedge salads (iceberg, bleu cheese, oven roasted tomatoes, cucumbers, a bleu cheese dressing whipped up in-house, and delicious balsamic vinegar):


And we had bread from Blue Dog Bakery:


Meals are so much better when they are shared with friends and loved ones!

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good. I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but maybe cooked with other stuff they would be better. I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete