Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Girls On the Run and Operation Beautiful

We're into week two of Girls on the Run and I'm enjoying spending time with the girls. They are all between the ages of 8-10, and at that age, they are enthusiastic and energetic yet respectful and open to activities and ideas. Because of a recent mix up with lessons, we had some time to fill yesterday and I decided to tell the girls about a movement called Operation Beautiful.

Have you ever stood in front of the mirror and picked out your flaws? You look fat today. Your hair is going crazy. Your skin is too oily. I admit, I do this quite often. Caitlin @ Healthy Tipping Point wanted to change this. Some time ago, after being fed up with "fat talk" and other negative talk, she took a Post-It note, wrote "You are beautiful!" on it, and slapped it on the mirror. Then she started doing that in public places like restaurants, movie theaters, malls, etc. Her activities caught on, and now she has a book (with another on the way!) and she's been on The Today Show for her work.

I told the girls about Operation Beautiful and then passed around Post-Its and markers. I asked the girls to write a positive message on the note - something short and sweet that is a reminder that beauty is not always about the face you see in the mirror.


I loved the notes that the girls wrote!

"You are cuter than a puppy or kitten!"
"You rock my world pretty girl"
"You are beautiful no matter what!"
"You are great just the way you are!"

For such a simple activity, I think it has the potential to be big. Girls on the Run emphasizes doing the best you can, being positive, and having self-respect. Operation Beautiful is very much the same. I have a feeling we might do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment