Thursday, May 5, 2011

On The Rebound!

HEY!

According to Forbes, Louisville is #1 on the list for Cities With the Worst Allergies. Case in point: me. My fever from last week subsided and made way for a 4 day bout of allergy hell. Things have mostly gotten back to normal, and I've stopped thinking about buying stock in Kimberly-Clark (makers of Kleenex).

This morning I got up early and went to the gym for a much-needed workout. There is a method of lifting weights that involves just one set, but here's the catch - you lift until failure. Instead of doing 2 sets of 10 reps of bicep curls, you just curl until you can't curl no mo'. We're not talking about collapsing on the ground in exhaustion, just when until you really can't keep your form. I employed the failure method this morning and liked it. I don't do super heavy weight, just something that is a bit challenging, and do reps until I fatigue. I think that this method might produce better results for me - I feel more burn in my muscles! After weights I ran and walked on the treadmill for forty minutes. For the last few minutes I really cranked up the speed and sprinted, which felt great. Note that I did speed work after I was REALLY warmed up. I've learned from experience that jumping into sprints can cause injury!

The other day I made a dish thatt I've been making for years: Cucumber and Black Eyed Pea Salad. The recipe is from Eating Well. It is SO easy to make, and it's really delicious and healthy too!

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 cups peeled and diced cucumbers
1 14-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup slivered red onion
2 tablespoons chopped black olives

Preparation
1.Whisk oil, lemon juice, oregano and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, black-eyed peas, bell pepper, feta, onion and olives; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Nutrition Per serving: 160 calories; 10 g fat ( 3 g sat , 6 g mono ); 11 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 270 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).

Eating Well's photo is obviously much prettier than mine would be:


Make this!

Hope you're having a great week so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment