Tuesday, August 23, 2011

For Terry

As you probably know, I attend yoga classes at Betsy's Hot Yoga. Since January of 2008, I've met and interacted with the majority of their instructors. On August 4th, 2011, one of them went to heaven.

Terry Thompson.

His name deserves its own paragraph...its own page...its own book. Terry was, as described at his memorial service, magical. He made every single person feel like they were the only person in the room. He was full of positive energy, kindness, and love (and he would probably want me to throw in "fabulousness" too). His yoga classes were constantly crowded because everyone wanted to be around him.

In December of 2010, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. Due to the disease and complications that followed, he did not survive.

Terry played this song at the end of every class he taught, and it was appropriately played at his memorial service:



Last week, I went to a late Bikram class taught by Mary Ann, who was especially close to Terry. I silently dedicated my class to him and did well, until the end. The thing about Bikram is that you use so much energy, physically and mentally, that a lot can come up in terms of emotions. With about five minutes to go, I started crying. Holding back sobs, I let tears stream down my face for the rest of class. I couldn't help but think about how I will never see him again and how I will never hear his voice again.

A friend of mine told me of a quote the other day that is most appropriate: "God picks the most beautiful flowers for his garden." I miss him so much, and I hope he looking out for all of us.

Terry, I feel so proud to have known you and you are one of the most beautiful people I've ever met.

I love you and I miss you,

Rachel



Terry Lee Thompson
July 27, 1964 - August 4, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment