Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Netflix has some great documentaries.  If you want to change up what you watch, check them out.  Last night I watched a documentary titled "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead."  It follows two guys who do 60 day juice cleanses and what they go through.  Coincidentally, both men have the same autoimmune disease which requires that they take a low dosage of steroids every day.  The steroids plus unhealthy living plus sedentary lifestyles made the men severely overweight.  As you can imagine, this juice cleanse completely changes their lives and reduces or elimates their dependency of the steroids.

These men used the same juicer I have (Breville Juice Fountain Elite) which was exciting to see.  They typically juiced kale, cucumber, celery, lemon, and apple, and they drank that concoction 3 times a day for 60 days! 

Check out the website here and you can see a trailer.

Both guys said that the first few days were the hardest: they were irritable and they wanted to stay in bed all day.  However, after day 4 or so, they felt a lot better!  You can see in the footage how much their mood and energy level increased.  It was so neat and inspiring to see how these guys changed their lives for the better.

Obviously, the wheels are turning in my head and I kind of want to try this.   Not for sixty days though...let's say 7-10?  Here's the thing though: I started training for a half marathon yesterday so I'm going to need some fuel.  That said, I'd rather start now while the training is easier.  If I need to drink an extra juice during the day, then so be it.  Here's another thing: I'd like to align the "hard days" (approximately days 1-3) with the weekend so if I need to be in bed then I can be. 

Now, if you look at my previous post, I preach that you basically can't go from zero to sixty with your goals because they are just going to blow up in your face.  Going from eating solid foods to just liquids for 7-10 days is definitely heading in that direction.  So, let's say this: if I'm dying, I'll eat some yogurt or nuts.  Maybe I can modify this plan so I do the juice for two meals and solid food for the third.  Let's see how it goes!

The plan is to start this on a Friday sometime this month.  If not this Friday, then the next.  Should I start something so bizarre on Friday the 13th?  :)

2 comments:

  1. Be careful trying to do this with training. Maybe try a 3 day cleanse vs a 7 to 10 day and see how you do that first. If it seems ok, maybe you do it again in a few weeks. I don't know, I'm certainly no expert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that film so much, I went out and bought a juicer for myself! I have not done a fast because I don't feel like I need to, but I do try to supplement my diet with some juice, it's a great way to get extra nutrients in from fruits and veggies, plus it tastes really good too!

    ReplyDelete