Sunday, January 31, 2010

If It Makes You Happy

So I manned up and went to the gym yesterday to run 6 miles. The idea of running 6 miles on the treadmill was not appealing in the least, so I broke up the run into 3 sets of 2 miles. My gym has an 1/11Th mile indoor running track, so I ran 2 miles on the track, 2 miles on the treadmill, then 2 miles on the track. Although I would have much preferred to run outside, running in the snow and ice could have ended very badly.

After my workout, I ate a veggie burger and made a DELICIOUS smoothie from a recipe I found in Prevention Magazine. I share it with you now:

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup yogurt (I used low-fat vanilla)
1 chopped frozen banana
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp peanut butter (I used Sunbutter, duh)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
A dash of cinnamon

The recipe calls to add ice if you want a thicker consistency, but I didn't. But it was goooood!!

My hip was way sore yesterday and so I rolled it out, did hip flexor stretches and hip swings, used icy hot, etc. Right now it's feeling fine so that's a relief. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it has not yet interfered with any of my activities so let's hope it stays that way.

Last night I went to Basa Restaurant for dinner with my parents. The atmosphere is a funky, modern, and the food and service are great. We ordered the beef skewers and crispy rolls appetizer. The skewers you took out, obviously, and wrapped the beef in romaine with a piece of mint, and dipped into a light sauce. Yummy!

I had the caramelized catfish claypot for dinner. My impression is that it would have the veggies on the side, but they were actually in a soup! Honestly, the soup was not for me. The soup has celery, beansprouts (both of which I like), but it also had tomatoes and pineapple!? I don't really like tomatoes, and the pineapple in the soup really didn't taste good at all. Needless to say, the catfish and the rice commanded most of my attention for that segment of the meal. If you are in Louisville and go to Basa, I recommend the chicken dish that comes with veggies and vermicelli. It's really flavorful!

We rebounded during dessert. My dad and I split the ginger cake dessert which came with a caramel and pecan gelato, raisins, apples, etc. Holy cow. It was amazing. I want some right now and it's 8:30 in the morning.

I'm meeting my mother at the gym for a 90 minute yoga class. Yes that's right, yoga in a room that's not 100 degrees. Traditionally I've done Bikram on Sundays so it will be nice to do something else. Then I need to do some major grocery shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment