Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Roadrunner

Yesterday I had my early, early workout. I've gotten to the point where I need to step up my game in a major way: I can run 3 miles without a problem, so starting next week I'm going to do 4 miles/3x a work week instead of 3 miles/4x a work week. Doing speed work in the recent past has caused my hamstrings to flare up, so I'm going to ease into it. My coworker who has done half Ironmans and all sorts of crazy races gave me a workout to do.

1. Warmup for 10 minutes
2. At an 8:45 pace, run for 1 minutes on 0% incline, then do 1 minute on 1%, etc up to 5%.
3. Two minutes rest
4. Repeat 3 or 4 times

The warmup is essential and because I have my workouts for the rest of the week planned, I will do this one on Monday.

Tonight is a Fun Run hosted by Fleet Feet. It's a 3-miler, most likely going through Cherokee Park which means I'll be able to do some hill work, and the competitive atmosphere will give me some speed work as well.

Last night I got a massage and it was INTENSE. I told Tsue about my back issue and she immediately went to work and discovered the entire left side of my body was noticeable more tense than the right. She worked and worked and worked and if I had the option to stay on that table for another hour I would have. Tsue worked on my Psoas muscle, which I didn't even know existed. It starts in the thoracic region of your spine and wraps down into your hip and pelvic areas. She had me lay on my back and she lifted my side and let it melt onto the table while she applied pressure to the area and then she basically had to massage my stomach to get the front of the muscle. Unfortunately, as good as Tsue is, it's going to take more than an hour to get my muscles to relax. I've got a heating pad on my back now and I'm heading to the chiropractor in less than an hour.

--------- 5 Hours Later ----------

Dr. Copeland did some nice adjustments and although my right butt cheek still hurts, I feel better. He also worked on my Psoas muscle a bit too. I'm getting pumped for the run tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment