Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Need To Do This

So I just went to a local cycling shop to get a proper pump (I didn't go to the store where I bought the bike, which I think is kind of a faux-pas, but I don't care). The gentleman who helped me gave me some information about the Louisville Bicycle Club and the rides they do AND he gave me a sheet about new riders/bike handling classes which are FREE.

The classes: In order to be "certified," you have to attend 6/8 sessions and pass some written tests. Luckily, each session is offered 3 times this summer. For example, if I want to go to the Five Layers of Safety Session, I could go on 6/14, 7/14, or 8/9. Some of the other topics include: Tools and Basic Repairs, Parking Lot Drills, and Traffic Rules.

Being a new cyclist and based on the fact that my mother is terrified about me riding, I think it might bring her a lot of relief if I do this! I'll keep everyone updated...

The rides: Louisville Bike Club puts on several rides per day for everyone from a family wanting to take a bike ride to beginners to the most advanced rider.

Let me clarify something: I can ride a bike. I learned how to ride when I was little and I rode a lot when I was younger and during the summers when I was still in school. Cycling is another ball game. Those dudes pimped out in the spandex with the crazy helmets on the bikes that cost at least $1,000 = that's what I'm talking about.

Back to the rides: There is a ride this Saturday at 9 AM and it's labeled SLOW & EASY. Sounds like my kind or ride. Let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment