Friday, May 7, 2010

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Last night I made a DELICIOUS recipe. Thanks to Caitlin, I made vegetarian sloppy joes that rocked my world. Let me say that I couldn't stop thinking of the sloppy joe song in Billy Madison. I was singing it in my head for a good hour or two.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients (for 2 burgers):

1/2 cup organic ketchup
1/4 cup organic yellow mustard
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Sprinkle of cinnamon, chili powder, and pepper
2/3 packet of organic tempeh, chopped and crumbled
Spinach for garnish
Bun of English Muffin
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a small pot on the stovetop.
Turn on low and heat for five minutes, until it starts to bubble. Stir thoroughly!
Add in crumbled tempeh and stir.
Pour into oven-safe casserole dish and place in oven.
Cook at 350 for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Spoon onto bun and top with spinach.


My modifications:

I used dijon mustard instead of the regular stuff and I liked the kick.
Instead of tempeh, I used Morningstar ground soy (defrosted a bit).
I cooked it for 20 minutes instead of 30 because I was STARVING!!!



I was extremely close to making another sandwich, but I held back. It's so good...try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment