Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Success!

As soon as I woke up this morning I began to feel anxious about the upcoming bike ride. I ate some Oatmeal Squares cereal and raspberries and distracted myself on the computer for an hour or so.

After putting on my gear I walked the bike to the end of the driveway and got on. Step 1: complete. Step 2: clip in right foot without falling over: done! Step 3: take off and clip in left foot while pedaling: done! I've finally figured it out. Before I was trying to clip in both feet at the same time and balancing off my right foot. What I NEED to do, did today, and will continue to do is to clip in my right foot and start pedaling and clip in my left foot on the fly. It was so simple!

The next thing on my mind was stops. Last week, when I would stop, I would fall over! Today what I did was I unclipped my left foot then I unclipped my right foot and balanced on my left. However, when I would unclip from my right, I would keep my foot on the pedal as if I had not unclipped at all. By doing that, I would be training myself to solely use my left foot for balance, but the right was free if I needed it. Confused yet?

I made a detour to the Lake House so I could swim. I swam 1/2 mile w/o stopping and I believe it took me 15-16 minutes, then I changed back into my biking gear and biked a long way home. Overall I think I biked maybe 6-7 miles? Biking 6-7 miles and then a 1/2 mile swim is really not a hard workout, but it sure made me hungry.

My mother has been at Seabrook with me, fortunately, and she's purchased a lot of fresh fruit and other foods so it's been nice to have those on hand (and having her here in general is nice too!).

This afternoon we played golf and it was a lot of fun. It would have been healthier of us to walk 9 holes, but we took a cart instead. For as little as I play, I am quite good. I had two pars and two bogeys today so I was very happy with that. My new job will eventually entail entertaining clients (e.g. golf) so I need to step up my game.

I feel my most fit and I look my best when I do lots of different activities. Last summer I was running, swimming, playing tennis, playing a little golf, doing Bikram, and playing field hockey and any excess weight was melting off me. By constantly using different muscle groups you keep your body guessing and working harder!

Only two full days left down here in SC and then it's time to head back to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment