Friday, September 3, 2010

Push It

In the past 36 hours, I've done 75 minutes of Bikram and run between 9-10 miles. Given the fact that recently I've logged 10 miles a WEEK, you could say I've stepped it up a bit.

One reason that I am running more is that my elbow is preventing me from swimming, doing Vinyasa yoga (more upper body), tennis, and golf. The activities I can do are limited at the moment which is very frustrating for me. I've noticed that my elbow is the most sore in the morning and feels almost 100% in the afternoon and evening which makes me think that moving it around (to a certain degree) is helping. It stresses me out thinking about it!

Because the poses in the Bikram series are mostly geared toward your legs and back, I can do class easily. The instructor, Anna, was talking about bad habits last night. When she meant bad habits she meant either:

A. You get into the pose incorrectly all the time
B. You sit out the same poses

Being in front of a wall of mirrors, you can see what other people are doing, and you tend to see a lot of the same people in class. I see many people, whether they are new or have been at the studio for as long as I have, constantly simplifying poses or sitting out the same poses every time. It doesn't exactly bother me because it's none of my business, but I do wonder if those people will ever break their habits. I wonder if they will try and push themselves more or if they even have the desire to! If I take a pose farther than I have before, it's an exhilarating feeling. Try leaving your comfort zone once in a while - you never know what you're capable of achieving if you don't!

After Bikram last night I made a simple pasta dish for dinner: whole wheat penne, steamed broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, a little bit of cheese, and pesto. You can't go wrong with vegetables and pasta, and it's really easy too.

I must have been a bit dehydrated and nutrient-deficient last night because I was craving not just water, but milk. And I wasn't craving just milk, I was craving a soft drink. Milk is not a big deal, I drink milk all the time, but a Coke?? Cokes and other soft drinks are beverages I rarely, rarely drink. We're talking I-can-count-on-one-hand-how-many-times-I-drink-a-soft-drink-per-year. I think the book Skinny Bitch scared me about soft drinks, but even before that I drank them seldomly.

Listening to my body, I drank a glass of Horizon milk and then I had a small glass of Sunkist. I highly doubt that I absolutely needed a glass of Sunkist, but perhaps my blood sugar was low? Who knows. Anyway - that was a big deal last night. Welcome to my exciting night life.

Tomorrow I'm determined to get to a farmer's market and then I'm watching the Kentucky/Louisville football game. GO KENTUCKY!

No comments:

Post a Comment