Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Endoscopy

When I get nervous, I either cry, smile uncontrollably like a freak, or do both. On Friday, I was sitting in a bed, wearing a gown, refusing to look at the IV that was jabbed into my hand, with tears rolling down my cheeks and a crazy grin on my face. I was rolled into a room, some preparations were made, and then I was told to think about the beach. Staring at a monitor, I started to do so, and then the next thing I knew, I heard someone say "Rachel, wake up!"

It was over! Once again, I had freaked out over nothing. The endoscopy was a success. While I was in recovery, my doctor talked to my mom and showed her the pictures they took of my stomach and esophagus. They sent some biopsies to labs to check for various things, and scheduled me for a Gastric Emptying Exam to see how and how quickly my stomach processes food.

The initial diagnosis? Gastritis. Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining and they said my stomach basically produces too much acid. The cures? Medicine to control acid production and limiting things that cause your stomach to produce acid: caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, etc. (basically the good stuff). "I'll take a mocha, hold the caffeine, hold the chocolate, please." Like I said though, we're still waiting on some test results.

And just when things didn't seem like they could get any worse, I woke up Saturday morning with a fever and major congestion? ARE YOU FOR REALSIES? Do I have an immune system? Is it on permanent vacation? Fun with a Neti pot, antibiotics, and decongestants ensued, and then my mom fed me homemade chicken noodle soup.

Forget every single bowl you've ever had of chicken noodle soup because it does not even come close to the culinary creations of my mother. I ate it so quickly that pictures do not exist.

Directions:

1. Saute onions, garlic, celery, and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2. Add 6 cups of water - bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add wide whole wheat noodles and cook another 8 minutes
4. Cook chicken in a skillet about 20 minutes. Chop and add to ingredients.
5. Add approx. 4 tsp. chicken base, white balsamic vinegar and a can of cream of chicken soup.
6. Throw in some herbes de provence (must do!)
7. Thicken with poultry gravy mix (optional)
8. INHALE!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear that the procedure went well, it was a positive experience for me too when I had one several years ago. And I hope you get some good news from the test results. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete