Monday, December 3, 2012

Potpourri

Lots of things going on since my last post.  I'll start with the bad and end with the good!

1. IT Band troubles.  After my 11/3/12 half marathon, I took a short break from running.  During Thanksgiving week, I ran two 5-milers, and by the end of the second 5-miler, I was in so much pain I could barely walk.  Whenever I jump back into running and do too much, my body rebels against me.  It's almost like my body is rejecting the running! Normally it's my right IT Band that bothers me, but this time around it's my left.  As I've done in the past, a combination of foam rolling and strengthening exercises with a rubber band gets me back on track within a couple of weeks.  Fortunately, I am not training for anything, but I am getting back into...

2. Hot Yoga.  For three years I consistently did Bikram or hot yoga and it changed my body and my life.  This year, I neglected my practice big time and did ZERO hot yoga classes from mid-December 2011- July 2012.  Because of Groupons and holiday specials, I've gone back to it and it's been amazing.  Although I am not as flexible as I used to be, I'm working on getting that back.  Yesterday afternoon I did a Bikram class and the instructor had an awesome playlist, including some Boyz II Men!?  If you play Boyz II Men you're cool in my book.

3. Holiday teas.  Green tea is my thing, but the holiday teas available right now rock.  In the past week I've purchased six boxes of tea, which is ridiculous, but here are the holiday ones:

I've had the Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride mulitple times and it helps offset sugar cravings.  The Gingerbread Spice is great as well, but I prefer the SCSR.  Out of the Trader Joe's teas, I've only tried the Candy Cane Green Tea so far and it's really good. With the temperatures being so warm right now, I'm not really craving tea, but I'm drinking it anyway!

4. Girls on the Run!  For over two years now I've been involved with the Louisville chapter of Girls on the Run.  I've gone from a running buddy to a coach to a board member and I am now the Vice Chair of the board.  Our Fall 5k was this past weekend and it might have been our best yet.  Despite my IT Band issues, I ran with one of the girls whose running buddy fell behind.  She was so small (only 8 years old!) but she was a good runner and I think we probably did 12 minute miles.  The joy of seeing these girls run a 5k never gets old.  What an accomplishment for their age!  I also ran into Erin from Go Bananas Blog and her parents (who are adorable!).  She is involved with one of the GOTR committees and I had no idea.  It's always nice to make connections like that!

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment